Thursday, November 26, 2020

VI - Amidst - Haiku #17


The infants I swaddled in ch. VI recently turned three. Cousins, not twins, they live blocks from each other and meet regularly for outdoor play. Long before public health endorsed it, my mantra was Take me outside, with No bad weather, just bad clothing coming a close second. Like the proverbial apples, my family shares this mindset, though the grandchildren are more apt to be climbing the tree than contemplating their legacy. Counting the candles for their cakes was a tender reminder that three years have passed since I tiptoed into the bedrooms of the newly born and soon to die. 

It's strange that I now picture Pam outside too. She’s sitting around a campfire with others loved and recently lost as if the requirement for small backyard visits has extended beyond the grave; they gather and comfort each other; nod, whisper, squeeze a shoulder or hand. We thought these connections were reserved for the living. Perhaps, like everything else in 2020, we were wrong.

don't assume life starts

with bliss and ends in chaos.

lean in. they are linked.