Monday, October 5, 2020

Afterword (Bruce Trail) - Haiku #10

At last, last but not least, last a long time. Sure, those are familiar. But a last for making footwear - who knew? These are my boots, Lowa Renegades, purchased here for the final 100 km. of the trail. The previous pair were from a different store, a different manufacturer and were a major disappointment demonstrated by damp toes despite duct tape repairs. When I slide my feet into these, it's like unlocking the front door after an arduous journey. Home. Could be because they were made using a woman's last which, unlike a man's or generic one, more accurately matches my arch, my heel, and the spread of my toes. Could be because tying the laces, like Pavlov's bell, is a signal that I will soon be outside.

take poles, maps, layers 

check that boots, like companions, 

are a proper fit